Working with spirits comes in many shapes and sizes. Some witches and practitioners make contact through a variety of methods, including dowsing and mediumwork. Yes, Ouija boards qualify here, but be careful they are easy to manipulate. Others, myself included, give offerings to the spirits of heroes, ancestors, and admired figures to aid them in the spirit world. Workers also call on spirits to aid in craftwork. All spirit workers revere this time of year and its thin veil between the spirit world and our world.
For those interested in working with spirits, Samhain is a good holiday to begin this practice. I have a few tips for the ingenues
- Spirits lie. Get used to it. Even the one of your sweet grandma. But you can still learn from them.
- Have a healthy amount of skepticism. You shouldn’t go approach it disrespectfully, but at the same time use your common sense.
- When beginning on this path, try to find someone who’s done this before to help you. I am not talking about a book, I mean someone who regularly and expertly contacts the dead and DOES NOT get paid to do it. Why? There are a lot of unknowns in the universe and in the metaphysical work. An expert can help you navigate them safely. Advertise on the Witch’s Voice or ask around your local metaphysical shop to find one.
- Veneration is spiritwork. Honor your ancestors often.
- Stick close to home. Most dwellings unless they are brand new contain some sort of spirit activity although 99.99% its completely benign and unnoticeable. My teacher described them to me as quiet observers. Treat them with the same respect you would your individual spirit guides.
- DO NOT HANDLE BIG PROBLEMS ON YOUR OWN. I have never come across a true spirit infestation that harms to household. I believe that most ‘contact’ that the media publishes is bull shit. But at the same time I will not discount the possibility that it could happen. If you think you are encountering a bad situation, ask your teacher or an experienced friend to help. Not only will they give you a better perspective on the matter, but in the case that it is a serious problem you’ll want the extra help.
- You should not approach spiritwork as trying to have a paranormal experience. You are attempting to find wisdom from whatever source you can.
I encourage anyone with long-term experience to comment. My experience has been mainly reverent ritual to honor home dwellers, so I’m limited in what I can say. Just be careful.
© Ariadne Woods