The term “eclectic” as applied as an adjective to Pagan, Wiccan, or Witch means that the person draws from many different ideas and traditions and applies them in a personal matter. Usually this person is solitary (but not always) with a strong calling. In an area in which there are not “rules,” there are ideas to consider, especially when starting on this path.
- Let Your Freak Flag Fly: It’s just you and the Goddess plain and simple. Connect the way you want to connect. Exception: Don’t hurt yourself, other people, animals, property that is not yours, or anything generally found to be illegal.
- Come to Grips with the Problem of Cultural Appropriation: Cultural appropriation is the misuse of elements of particular or multiple cultures. Generally this happens when someone uses harmful stereotypes. The best way to counteract is to educate. Read up on and talk to people about topics regarding your interests. Get a deeper understanding.
- Pinpoint Your Influences: When I am feeling technical, I classify myself as an Eclectic Witch with strong Wiccan influences. It’s not that any of that means anything to me, but it provides context for others trying to comprehend your path.
- Don’t Feel Intimidated: Work on your spirituality one step at a time. Just because there may not be a teacher or precedent guiding you doesn’t mean you can’t have a meaningful relationship with the God and Goddess.
- Reach Out: Find a community of people on eclectic paths and create a support group of sorts. It’s nice to talk about your experiences with people in similar stages in their lives. Hell, you could email me if you feel a little isolated and want to talk.
© Ariadne Woods