I got home from school less than a week ago and already I want to throttle everyone. I love my family, I do, but it is hard to go from a situation of independence and self reliance to back home on my mom’s couch. You having similar problems? I share with you the tools I use to get me through to the next semester.
- Take a Walk: I realize it’s cold. But getting out of your house and observing nature is good for the soul and has a strong calming affect. Which you’ll need when your great aunt asks for the fourteenth time why you’re not married yet.
- Don’t Revert to Old Habits: This is a good one to buddy up on. My cousin is a former smoker and I eat EVERYTHING IN SIGHT when stressed. So during the holidays we tag-team to keep each other in check.
- Enjoy Traditions: I am so excited for my Solstice vigil, the candlelight service at my mom’s church, gift giving, drinking with my sister and cousin, and my grandmother’s food. Those are what I want to take away from the holidays, not my mom’s nagging.
- Keep in Contact with Friends: They’re going crazy, too. Don’t be the constant texter, but sending each other encouraging texts will help everyone stay happy.
- Headphones: Absolute lifesaver.
© Ariadne Woods