Happy Earth Day! As a witch I think that since I have the means to be green, it is my duty to live an earth friendly lifestyle. Here are a couple of ideas that you can do to be a little greener.
- Be a Better Recycler: Check with your provider about what types of materials they take as well as the best way to sort the cans, bottles, and newspaper. In addition, save soda tabs and bottle caps. Organizations take them to further fund charitable projects.
- Buy Reusable Water Bottles and Travel Mugs: Not only will these purchases reduce the amount of recyclables, but also save you money in the long run. Some coffee places will give a slight discount if you bring your own container.
- Turn Off Water and Lights: Even if you’re brushing your teeth, turn the water off as you clean your teeth.
- The Twirly Lightbulbs: They do use less energy and cost less money on your gas bill. If you are a college student and have little choice in lightbulbs, consider hanging Christmas lights as your primary light source. I did the math, they use 1/3 less energy than the florescent lightbulbs my overhead lights use.
- Walk: If you don’t need to drive, then don’t. Also, biking is great too.
- Become a Localvore: Buying local products is not only really good for your local economy, but also uses less fossil fuels in transportation. Local veggies and fruits tend to be cheaper, too.
- Reusable Bags: Throw a couple of reusable grocery bags in your car. If you forget, you can recycle plastic bags at Target.
© Ariadne Woods