I have no idea where the concept of NOT cleaning your altar came from. Something about not wanting to drive away good energy or some such shenanigans. But let’s be real here. If those “good vibes” are so easy to drive away, then perhaps they were never that useful to you. So here’s a quick guide to changing things up in your sacred space.
- After Messy Spells: This post was inspired by an incident in which I burned a piece of parchment and the ash went EVERYWHERE. Trust me, you have to in such circumstances.
- Before Space Clearing: Unless it is an emergency (or you’re out of paper towels), you should always dust your space before cleansing it. I know this may seem redundant if you use incense or sage to smudge the area, but still it is an important step in the process.
- Before Rearranging: New statue you are incorporating? Perfect moment to take a cleaning cloth to the items on your altar.
- Consider Earth-Friendly Cleansers: If you are concerned with synthetic or abrasive chemicals coming in contact with spiritual items, research essential oil based recipes.
Other Ways to Change Things Up:
- Fresh Flowers: Easy to do and a way to strengthen your connection to the Earth.
- Seasonal Candles or Crystals: A simple way to change with the seasons. Consider shape candles and rough cut stones.
- Altar Clothes: Inexpensive and great for dinged-up tables.
© Ariadne Woods