Think about the Elements: Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Spirit, etc. What do you associate with these forces? Any seasons, cardinal directions, colors, creatures, or attributes? Do you have a special connection with any of them? Do you even perceive Elements that are not listed? Now, think about why you have these associations. Did you read about the correspondences in a book or article? Did your mentor or coven give you this wisdom? Or is it something you developed in your own practice? Lastly, think about if you agree with these associations. Have you moved or relocated since first establishing your relationships with the Elements, so they shifted cardinal directions? Has your practice changed? Or have you found that you don’t agree with an aspect anymore?
I encourage you to do this questioning every once in a while, especially if you move a lot or have had a serious change in your spiritual beliefs. Things change, so even if you feel you have standing correspondences with the Elements it is good to reestablish and reconnect.
© Ariadne Woods
This is the second of five posts about connecting to the elements.
Air embodies many properties, including communication and creativity. Its primary color is yellow, and although it varies, its usually associated with East. Deities with attributes associated with Air include Nut, Zeus, and Aide.
- Turn Off the Air Conditioning and Open Some Windows: Refresh your living space with clean air. And listen to the sounds around you.
- Wind Chimes: They are fairly easy to make or purchase. If you are like me and live in a dorm or apartment complex, an easy set of chimes to make that are not loud at all is to buy a cord and a bunch of jingle bells. Tie them periodically on the string and hang them up. You can spell a set for protection or just to enjoy. Consider putting them in your altar area near a window. Use their vibrations to cleanse the area. Utilize their power.
- Play a Wind Instrument: Pipes, flutes, oboes, bassoons, recorders, etc. Even if you have no formal training the Goddess doesn’t care about your skill level. If you are self conscious about it, play some flute music on your stereo.
- Feel the Wind on your Face: Go outside and sit facing whatever direction the wind comes from. Close your eyes and just feel its energy!
- Incense: While incense also utilizes fire, it is primarily a symbol of air. Burn whatever you like. Scott Cunningham’s The Complete Book of Incense, Oils, and Brews presents fabulous indexes for specific purposes if you have a particular need.
Want more Witch Tips? Check out Twitter #witchtips!
© Ariadne Woods