Not everything goes right all of the time. You could have the perfect candle, the best timing, and the freshest herbs, but something still happens and you feel like the spell is going to fail. No worries. Here’s a few pieces of advice to help you keep your cool.
- The Candle/Incense Went Out: If you’re still in ritual, relight it. If not, the spell is done and dispose of the materials.
- Something Shatters: I’ve never had this happen to me, but if you’re burning something or using a glass container to hold a candle for a long period of time it can happen. Clean it up and consider the spell done.
- You Can’t Concentrate: Take a moment and just breath. Try to calm down and get your blood pressure lowered a little. If you can’t, clean up and do the work another time.
- Someone or Something Interrupts You: First of all, minimize the chance of this happening: turn off your cell, tell your roommates or family to leave you alone, put your pets in another room (familiars excepted), etc. But if it does happen, play it by ear and have a good perspective on the matter. If your dog breaks your circle, that is so much less of a big deal than if one of your kids is bleeding and needs medical attention.
- You Don’t Have the Appropriate Materials: This is where indexes come in handy! Look up the type of spell and see what materials will work for you. Most spellbooks have them in the back. I prefer Scott Cunningham’s indexes in the back of any of his encyclopedias or Dorothy Morrison’s because they’re comprehensive and easy to use. However as you do more and more work, you’ll develop an instinct about what materials will work in a spell.
- You Feel Like the Spell Didn’t Work: Calm down and be patient. Trust in yourself and your abilities. And sometimes a spell needs time to work out, so try to distract yourself.
- You Don’t Like the Outcome: Tough shit. Accept it and move on.
© Ariadne Woods