As many of my long-time readers know, I have been accepted to graduate school. Since the university is far away, this weekend I am moving to a new state and city I have never been to before. I am a little nervous, but mostly I am excited to create a new home for myself.
In preparation for this event, I have been doing a little research into Pagan, Wiccan, and witch homes and the related features, spells, and charms. A few things that I have found I am sharing with you. These can be adapted to apartments and dorms as well.
General Protection of the Property:
- Witch’s Bottles: These charms are a powerful filters of energy coming into your property. There are a lot of different variations and ingredients, so do a little research and find a blend that works for you. I like doing mine at the Saturday closest to the dark or new moon. Also if you can’t bury it in the ground, then put it in a container with a plant (good for dorms and apartments because it’s mobile) or in the back of a closet.
- Door Hangings: Wreathes, Evil Eye beads and yarn shields, up-turned horse shoes, pentacles, dried herb bundles, wind chimes, entrance bells, etc. These can be hung over or on your door to ward against bad, evil, or negative energy.
- Lock Charms: Compose a small charm to say every time you lock your door.
Cleansing and Space Clearing
- Open a Window: Fresh air in, old air out.
- Do This Regularly: Find a method that work for you and do it seasonally, monthly, at the same point of the lunar cycle, etc.
Magical Item Storage:
- Herbs: Glass bottles either in a dark space or in amber bottles. If you want to get these on the cheap, save your pasta sauce containers. They take up a decent amount of space, though, so last resort is to double bag the herbs. Also, labeling is important even if you are extremely familiar with the plant.
- Crystals: Check which stones are photosensitive or can be scratched easily. Store accordingly.
- Cabinet: What do you need to store the most? For me, it’s herbs and books. So my cabinet is a bookshelf in my closet with a box for my other assorted items, but plenty of shelf space for bottles and books. If larger things such as cauldrons and robes are your speed, then consider a trunk or large storage box. If you have only a few things, use a nice jewelry box This is completely dependent on your needs.
- Permanent or For a Specific Event?: Do you have the space or the need for a permanent altar? If you do, meditate on its elements (kind of table, statuary, candles, etc.). If you can’t, keep a space in mind for sabats, esbats, etc.
- Living Room: This is a good space to promote harmony within your family or roommates, especially if you spend a lot of time here. Make it comfortable and welcoming.
- Kitchen: The space you prepare food , it is a space for creation and witchcraft. Make it easy to use.
- Bathroom: The center of beauty in the home. This should be a pretty room.
- Bedroom: The vibe here is more open. Do you want comfort and relaxation? Then use soft colors and soothing scents. Or do you want it to be for adult activities? Two words: silk sheets.
- Space Clearing
- Feng shui
- Green Living
- The Magical Household by Scott Cunningham
- Mrs. B’s Guide to Household Witchery by Kris Bradley
© Ariadne Woods